[mou] Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:13:15 -0500

Sorry for the late post but just got home.  Found a juvenile YCNH this
afternoon in the pigs eye area of Ramsey County.  From 494 exit on Maxwell
and go north.  The road comes to a T.  Take a left and follow the curve to
the right where you are now on Red Rock Road.  The lake the bird was in is
on your right.  We saw the bird from the mowed area that is labeled as a
city of St Paul lower Red Rock lift station.  If I remember right this is
right before the second set of concrete lane changers.  Also note the large
concrete blocks marking it.

>From this spot it is easy to scan the middle portion of the lake.  The bird
was on a stump right next to the shoreline on the far bank.  Note that this
is quite a distance and a scope will be necessary to get a good look.  Our
first impression with binoculars was that this was a American Bittern, but
the scope soon corrected that thought.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com