[mou] sandpiper photos and behavior question

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:00:02 -0500

The semi-palmated Sandpiper picture is actually a Bairds Sandpiper.

Here is are ID features on this bird that point to Bairds Sandpiper.

1. The wing tips go beyond the tail and cross over each other like scissors.
2. The bird has long legs for a Semi-palmated Sandpiper and it also has a
very horizontal look to it.
3. The bill is slightly curved downward towards the tip and a Semi-palmated
Sandpiper has a shorter black bill and looks real stubby. Sort of like a
pencil,
4. The buffy coloration which it gives it a bib look is what you'll see on a
fall plumage Bairds Sandpiper.

So the bird is a Bairds Sandpiper and when you see them on the beach or at
mud flats the yhave this very uniform pattern on it mantle. I call it a
dotted look but the size of the Bairds is smaller than a Sanderling but a
Bairds is slightly larger vs Semi-palmated.

I love you Buff-breasted Sandpiper pics. I wish I had your camera when the
S. Gull flew by!

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth