[mou] Re: sandpiper photos and behavior question

Chris Mansfield bikebirder75@yahoo.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:09:14 -0700 (PDT)

Oops, I should have mentioned that the bird I'm calling Semipalmated
appeared the same size as the other Semis present (which were more
worn, paler juveniles) and was indeed semipalmated in the literal way:
it had on each foot a large web between the outer and middle toes, and
a small web between the middle and inner toes!

I'm not picking on you, Mike, but since it was brought up: I've found
that juv. Semipalmateds often show at least some primary projection
(past folded tertials) and wingtip projection (past tail tip), and that
the crossed-wingtips effect can be seen on several species.  The guides
that make it seem like long wings or crossed tips are a good field mark
for Baird's/White-rumped are misleading.

Semipalmated Sandpipers looking long-winged:
http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/SESAphoto.html
http://www3.sympatico.ca/jeaniron/semipsandj.htm
http://www.birdinghawaii.co.uk/XKiiPeep2.htm

Chris