[mou] MRVAC - Nicollet County birding day - field trip report - 9/20/04

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:48:08 EDT

-------------------------------1095774488

Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter
Nicollet County Birding Day
Field trip report
September 20, 2004

8 - participants
75 - species

Enjoyed leading a trip in Nicollet County.  Had a great group and especially
enjoyed all the insight on the area that Karen and Merrill Frydendall gave to
the group.  Will help make my next trip down this way even better.

Despite being a warm and very windy day.  Our group was able to tally 75
species of birds.  Many of those where observed however were only one or two
participants.  I myself only recorded 69 species, but did see the most unusual
species of the day.  A male Hooded Warbler.  This bird was seen well by me only
for about 30 seconds on trail number 1, about 100 yards West of the West end
parking lot.  The bird was observed feeding on insects in some very low
vegetation and while I believe several participants had glimpses of the bird, no one
else had a look that allowed them to identify the bird.  With the high winds
today, that was the case with many of the birds we encountered.  Many of the
Warblers that we encountered, which were almost entirely at Seven Mile Creek
County park.  Where moving very fast and very high in the trees.  Here were some of
the birds that our group enjoyed:

Virginia Rail - Heard on South side of Middle Lake
Chimney Swift
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Fort Ridgely State park
Pileated Woodpecker - Fort Ridgely State Park
Blue-headed Vireo - Seven Mile Creek County Park - trail across from West end
parking lot
Rudy-crowned Kinglet - Fort Ridgely State Park
Tennessee, Nashville, Magnolia, Black-throated Green, Black-and-white,
Mourning Warbler and American Redstart - All these birds were observed at Seven Mile
Creek County Park along the trails that lead from the far west end of the
park.
@ Hooded Warbler - Male Hooded Warbler observed along trail one about 100
yards West of the West end parking area.  As noted above only briefly observed
and could not relocate the bird.
Scarlet Tanager
White-throated Sparrow - One bird observed at Seven Mile Creek County Park
Yellow-headed Blackbird - We were starting to see some nice sized flocks of
Blackbirds congregating in several areas of the county.

Craig Mandel - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1095774488

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter</DIV>
<DIV>Nicollet County Birding Day</DIV>
<DIV>Field trip&nbsp;report</DIV>
<DIV>September 20, 2004</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>8 - participants</DIV>
<DIV>75 - species</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Enjoyed leading a trip in Nicollet County.&nbsp; Had a great group and=20=
especially enjoyed all the insight on the area that Karen and Merrill Fryden=
dall gave to the group.&nbsp; Will help make my next trip down this way even=
 better.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Despite being a&nbsp;warm and very windy day.&nbsp; Our&nbsp;group&nbsp=
;was able to tally 75 species of birds.&nbsp;&nbsp;Many of those where obser=
ved however were&nbsp;only one or two participants.&nbsp;&nbsp;I myself only=
 recorded 69 species, but did see the most unusual species of the day.&nbsp;=
 A male&nbsp;Hooded Warbler.&nbsp; This bird was seen well by me only for&nb=
sp;about 30 seconds on trail number 1, about 100 yards West of the West end=20=
parking lot.&nbsp; The bird was observed feeding on insects in some very low=
 vegetation and while I believe several participants had glimpses of the bir=
d, no one else had a look that&nbsp;allowed them to identify the bird.&nbsp;=
&nbsp;With the high winds&nbsp;today, that was the case with many of the bir=
ds we encountered.&nbsp; Many of the Warblers that we encountered, which wer=
e almost entirely at Seven Mile Creek County park.&nbsp; Where moving very f=
ast and very high in the trees.&nbsp; Here were some of the birds that our g=
roup enjoyed:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Virginia Rail - Heard&nbsp;on South side of Middle Lake</DIV>
<DIV>Chimney Swift </DIV>
<DIV>Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - Fort Ridgely State park</DIV>
<DIV>Pileated Woodpecker - Fort Ridgely State Park</DIV>
<DIV>Blue-headed Vireo - Seven Mile Creek County Park - trail across&nbsp;fr=
om West end parking lot</DIV>
<DIV>Rudy-crowned Kinglet - Fort Ridgely State Park</DIV>
<DIV>Tennessee, Nashville, Magnolia, Black-throated Green, Black-and-white,=20=
Mourning Warbler and American Redstart - All these birds were observed at Se=
ven Mile Creek County Park along the trails that lead from the far west end=20=
of the park.</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>@ Hooded Warbler </STRONG>- Male Hooded Warbler observed along=20=
trail one about 100 yards West of the West end parking area.&nbsp; As noted=20=
above only briefly observed and could not relocate the bird.</DIV>
<DIV>Scarlet Tanager</DIV>
<DIV>White-throated Sparrow - One bird observed at Seven Mile Creek County P=
ark</DIV>
<DIV>Yellow-headed Blackbird - We were starting to see some nice sized flock=
s of Blackbirds congregating in several areas of the county.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 PTSIZE=3D"10" FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF"=