[mou] Snowy Egret, large pale gull - Lyon County

ignacio_magpie@rohair.com ignacio_magpie@rohair.com
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:05:49 -0500 (CDT)

Snowy Egret was seen again today (9/21) at Island Lake in Lyon county
along the shore by the public access. In the Black Rush Lake area there
was one gull (out of several hundred) that caught my attention. I do not
know what species it is, but offer the following description for those of
you who may interested.
Roger Schroeder
Marshall, MN

Gull sp. 18-Sep-04 [transcribed text from field notes as written]
----------------------------
First seen from a distance of 75-100 meters before taking off. Observed
circling lazily with group 2-3 minutes before losing contact. First
attention to the lack of darker coloring at wing tips, and to slightly
larger size relative to Ring-billed Gull. With exception of the thin,
white border running the length along the following edge of the wing, the
entire wing/mantle appeared uniformly light gray - about same shade as
adult Ring-billed; perhaps slightly lighter. Light-gray was uniform
through the wing tips - slightly lighter [even white] at tips of
primaries. Tail was white; very clean without any blemish. Bill had dark
on it toard the tip - seemed to cover whole tip. Bird was larger that the
accompanying Ring-bills - standing and in flight - but did not have
overbearing presence as does Herring Gull next to Ring-billed. Too far
away to see leg or eye color.