[mou] Exotic Species Law

Sharon Stiteler sharonks@mn.rr.com
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:22:40 -0600

I just found this on the Bluebird Recovery Program of Minnesota site.  I
honestly have very mixed feelings about this and I'm not posting this to
start a debate.  But as a community VERY interested in birds I thought
people on these lists might want to read and comment to the address at the
end of the message:

The U.S. Congress just passed two identical bills of importance to
bluebirders. The bills reauthorize the soon -to- expire Migratory Bird
Treaty Act, and added clarification to specifically state that invasive,
exotic species are NOT federally protected. This overruled a recent court
decision which interpreted the act as including exotic species. With this
strong new federal interpretation of the act, states may now be able to add
language to their own rules and statutes regarding state=B9s control of exoti=
species.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (MN DNR) is right now in the
process of reviewing their rules, and has asked for comments. Of particular
interests to us is statute 84D.12, subd,3 under Rule #6216, which states
that it is illegal to introduce certain regulated or prohibited exotic
species into the state. The Bluebird Recovery Program urges people to write
and request two changes:

   1. Include the exotic house sparrow and European starling in the
regulated invasive species category, and
   2. change the wording of statute 84D.12, subd 3 (which states that it is
illegal to introduce regulated exotic invasive species), to include the
words =B3or release=B2.

With these two changes, it would be illegal in Minnesota to rehabilitate
house sparrows and release them again into the wild (or trap them and
release). Hundreds of volunteer hours and donations are spent by
rehabilitating centers in treating and releasing house sparrows. Over 700
house sparrows and starlings were released last year by just one rehab
center.

Help stop this cycle of releasing rehabilitated house sparrows which in tur=
cause death or injury to our native song birds, some of which may survive t=
be treated by rehabilitation centers!

Some of the DNR rules were adopted by emergency power given to them to act
quickly when invasive species appear, to prevent further spread. The DNR
needs to make permanent these rules, and can do so without having to go
through the legislature.

Comments should be submitted by April 1 in writing, by phone, or by email
to:

    Steve Hirsch
    Division of Ecological Services, MN DNR
    500 Lafayette Road