[mnbird] Re: [mou] Exotic Species Law

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 08:20:49 -0600

When I did rehabbing, twice I was given House Sparrows, once a baby
starling, and once a baby pigeon.  I'm one of those people who can be too
empathetic with birds, and would never have been able to kill these
individual birds.  But as one who is genuinely empathetic, I could never
have released them into the wild, either, where they would most assuredly
have caused problems for native birds.  One of the sparrows died of its
injuries very quickly.  The other I kept as a pet, as I did with the
starling.  Mortimer the Starling was a delightful house pet, delighting my
children with his imitations--he lived to be 9 years old.  And Bernice the
Pigeon lived a long life here, too.  Except for the starling, which I knew
I wanted to keep as a pet to learn more about their vocalizations, none of
these birds had been correctly identified by the person bringing it to
me.  (The person who brought me Bernice actually thought he was a Barn Owl!)

Like domesticated cats, exotic birds do NOT belong outdoors in North
America.  Period.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson