[mou] Help identifying a bird

Robert Metcalf rm@flyspy.com
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:47:37 -0600

Hi all,

I'm a rare lurker here. Time to post something. I live in South Minneapolis
and just spotted a hawk outside my house eating something red and bloody in
the tree. A few feet away was a smaller version that would hop on the back
of the larger one and try to get some food, then hop back to the branch.

I grabbed my Peterson field guide and was able to narrow it down to either
Sharp-Shinned Hawk or a Cooper's Hawk. The tail looked rounded but I'm not
sure (being a neophyte). Has any one else seen this in South Minneapolis
and can someone help identify this beautiful species?

Regards,

Rob.