[mou] Purple Martin Nest Box City, Brownsville, Houston Co.

fred lesher corax6330@yahoo.com
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 07:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

No PUMAs ystdy at this site, so I did a brief count of
available nesting space. Starting from "The Copper
Penny" (recommended casual dining) at the only stop
sign in town, driving north along the street/terrace
above Hwy 26, sites as follow:

Human house #309---5 poles, total 33 gourds, 6 apts.
      "     #401---2   "  , empty
      "     #415---4   "  , 4 houses, 14 apts each
      "     #801---3   "  , 3 houses, 66 total apts.
      "     #809---2   "  , 2 houses, 48 total apts.

That totals 16 poles, 10 houses, 33 gourds, & 209
apts. There is a variety of gourds, some of them quite
ugly and not cheap.

There are no doubt similar sites and larger colonies.
In Lansing, IA, there is a huge single PUMA house with
several dozen apts, but it needs to be brought up to
bird housing "codes".

Fred Lesher
LaCrosse, WI

Yahoo! Messenger