[mou] Prairie Falcon/Wilkin Co/etc.

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan@digitaljam.com
Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:04:06 -0500

This afternoon at 2:00 pm (4/5), we observed a Prairie Falcon in Wilkin
County approximately 4 miles west (on CR 26) and 1 mile south (on CR 169) of
the town of Rothsay.  This location is about 4-5 miles south and a bit east
of the Western Prairie SNA where John Ellis reported seeing a Prairie Falcon
on Sunday.

The bird was seen in a tree line across from a farmstead whose address would
be 2307 290th Ave.; this location is near the intersection of 290th Ave.
(also called CR 169) and 230th St.

We were able to break out the scopes and observe the bird for 5 -10 minutes
on the tree tops before it roared off in powerful direct flight to the
northwest.

Other Wilkin Co birds of interest:
Lots of waterfowl, singing Western Meadowlarks, many Northern Flickers, many
Harriers, a Rough-legged Hawk, some circulating Sandhill Cranes, and a small
flock (15) of calling Tundra Swans.

Otter Tail Co birds of interest:
Lots of duck species, our first Turkey Vulture and Great Egrets of the
season (17 were staking out claims on the small nest island in Lake Alice in
residential Fergus Falls).  And, our first Chorus Frogs.
----
Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Otter Tail County
Battle Lake, MN