[mou] Wilson's Snipe? RQD? >> Common vs. Wilson's Snipe?

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 14:51:17 -0500

--=__PartE6C5FDA5.0__=

The following information taken from the web page Ocean Wanderers presents =
how to separate common snipe (Eurasian species) from Wilson's Snipe (N =
American):
=20
Separation from Common Snipe=20
=20
(1) As a whole, Wilson's Snipe is usually colder toned than Common Snipe =
but has a darker brown on the mantle.=20
(2) The underparts are much whiter and paler.=20
(3) The scapular feathers of Wilson's Snipe have relatively narrow white =
fringes.=20
(4) The tertials are dark and finely marked with gradually fading =
transverse bars.=20
(5) The lesser and median coverts are intricately patterned with white-tipp=
ed dark-centred feathers, which contrast with the dark blackish-brown =
greater covert bar.=20
(6) The head pattern is similar but the rear supercilium tends to be =
narrower on Wilson's Snipe and broadens more in front of the eye.=20
(7) Wilson's Snipe is rather coarsely patterned on the neck sides with a =
brown-ginger wash mostly confined to the mid and upper breast.=20
(8) The flank barring in Wilson's Snipe is very striking and quite =
extensive which is pronounced by the white background coloration of the =
flanks, which are usually buff-brown in Common Snipe.=20
(9) Wilson's Snipe usually has 16 tail feathers. Common Snipe usually have =
14 tail feathers, although occasionally 16 or 18.=20
(10) In Wilson's Snipe the outer tail feathers are white with black bars =
and are less well-defined and duller in Common Snipe.=20
(11) The shape of the tail feather is diagnostic with Wilson's Snipe =
showing a more parallel and square-ended tail whereas Common has round-tipp=
ed feathers.=20
(12) In flight, Common Snipe shows rather pointed wings.=20
(13) The bill of Common Snipe often looks longer than Wilson's Snipe.=20
(14) Wilson's Snipe has a shorter tail and in flight the toes are visible =
just beyond the tail tip.=20
(15) In Wilson's Snipe the white tips to the secondaries are narrower with =
broader white tips to the primary coverts.=20
(16) Wilson's Snipe has barred lesser and median underwing-coverts giving =
the impression of a darker underwing.
=20
I would imagine there might be records for Common Snipe in Alaska, and =
possibly some of the northern East Coast states that have had some vagrant =
European shorebirds, such as Maine or Massachussetts.  I would say it is =
99.999999% unlikely that we will ever have a Common Snipe in Minnesota.
=20
Cheers,

=20
=20
=20
Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD
Fridley, MN=20
(763) 572-5320
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

>>> "MARTELL, Mark" <MMARTELL@audubon.org> 04/06/2005 14:31:00 PM >>>
The AOU Checklist of North American birds (the official keeper of these =
things) shows both the Wilson's Snipe (Gallinago delicata) and the Common =
Snipe (Gallinag gallinago). Further digging shows that the AOU decided in =
2002 that the Wilson's Snipe was a different species than the Common Snipe =
(which occurs in the old world as well) and split it off. Thus some of the =
older reference's may not have noted the change.

Mark Martell
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Minnesota
2357 Ventura Drive #106