[mou] American Bittern, Hennepin County...

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:43:23

I enjoy the peaceful solitude of early morning birding, and the connection that enables you to plug in before the activity and noise level escalates.  This morning at Wood Lake Nature Center in Richfield, Hennepin County I was able to watch the pair of Broad-winged Hawks that arrived last Sunday building a nest and whistle back and forth overhead.

While scanning the the cattail edges I found an American Bittern in that frozen position with its bill pointing straight up.  The Blackbirds then pushed it out, and I was able to watch it fly across the marsh and disappear back into the cattails...

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com