[mou] Re: [mnbird] Jim and John Fitzpatrick give talk -

Ron Windingstad ronw44@msn.com
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 08:40:16 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C59BF4.CD0E7750

Sorry I missed Dr Fitzpatrick's talk - but am looking forward to hearing =
another of the Ivory-billed woodpeckers search team, Bobby Harrison, at =
the Midwest Birding Symposium in Mid October at the Midwest West Birding =
Symposium in the Quad Cities! =
http://www.visitquadcities.com/2004/for_visitors/midwest_birding.html<htt=
p://www.visitquadcities.com/2004/for_visitors/midwest_birding.html>
And our own Laura Erickson will also be one of the many other =
speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Windingstad
Cottage Grove, MN
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Laura Erickson<mailto:bluejay@lauraerickson.com>=20
  To: mnbird<mailto:mnbird@lists.mnbird.net> ; =
mou-net@cbs.umn.edu<mailto:mou-net@cbs.umn.edu>=20
  Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 8:50 PM
  Subject: [mnbird] Jim and John Fitzpatrick give talk

  Last night I went to the Carpenter Nature Center annual members and=20
  volunteers banquet.  The invited speaker, John Fitzpatrick, spoke =
about the=20
  Ivory-billed Woodpecker and his brother, Jim, who was one of the =
search=20
  team members who saw one of the reported birds, described his own=20
  sighting.  John showed the "Luneau" video--the whole part where they =
were=20
  approaching the bird, and then slowed it down (this footage, by the =
way, is=20
  out on DVD now) and also played a few of the recordings they are in =
the=20
  process of analyzing.  Some really are tantalizing--I can't think of=20
  anything else that could have made the "kent" calls except possibly a =
Blue=20
  Jay with an Arkansas accent--but to be honest, I really can't imagine =
one=20
  doing such a perfect imitation without having heard the real thing a=20
  LOT.  Blue Jay imitations seem, in my experience with them in the =
midwest,=20
  to be based on sounds that are heard frequently or involve some sort =
of=20
  extraordinary, maybe stress-producing, event.  I would love to hear=20
  anyone's recording of a non-captive Blue Jay (or even a captive Blue =
Jay?)=20
  making these "kent" calls.

  John also played a few of the "double knocks."  One of those =
recordings=20
  included two sets of double knocks, one much louder than the other.  =
I'm=20
  not at all convinced that was two birds--I've heard Downy and Pileated =

  drums that were louder, and then softer, as the bird changed =
orientation in=20
  the same tree, and since these recordings were from remotes, with no =
one=20
  seeing the birds producing the sounds, I can't be certain about this.

  I can't wait till the AOU meeting in Santa Barbara at the end of the =
month,=20
  which I will be attending.  The search team is presenting four papers, =
with=20
  detailed analyses of the recordings, videos, and sight records.  It=20
  promises to be most enlightening.

  Anyway, I've posted this on my blog today, along with some interesting =

  links, one by a skeptic, and also how to get the DVD of the Luneau =
video.

  http://www.birderblog.com/<http://www.birderblog.com/>

  Laura Erickson
  Duluth, MN

  www.birderblog.com<http://www.birderblog.com/>

  There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of=20
  birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains =
of=20
  nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after =
the winter.

                                   --Rachel Carson

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C59BF4.CD0E7750

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2668" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><!--[gte IE 5]><?xml:namespace =
prefix=3D"v" /><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" /><![endif]-->
<DIV>
<DIV>Sorry I missed Dr Fitzpatrick's talk - but am looking forward to =
hearing=20
another of the Ivory-billed woodpeckers search team, Bobby Harrison, at =
the=20
Midwest Birding Symposium in Mid October at the Midwest West Birding =
Symposium=20
in the Quad Cities! <A=20
title=3Dhttp://www.visitquadcities.com/2004/for_visitors/midwest_birding.=
html=20
href=3D"http://www.visitquadcities.com/2004/for_visitors/midwest_birding.=
html">http://www.visitquadcities.com/2004/for_visitors/midwest_birding.ht=
ml</A></DIV>
<DIV>And our own Laura Erickson will also be one of the many other=20
speakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Ron Windingstad</DIV>
<DIV>Cottage Grove, MN</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>From:</B> <A=20
  title=3Dmailto:bluejay@lauraerickson.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:bluejay@lauraerickson.com">Laura Erickson</A> </DIV>
  title=3Dmailto:mnbird@lists.mnbird.net=20
  href=3D"mailto:mnbird@lists.mnbird.net">mnbird</A> ; <A=20
  title=3Dmailto:mou-net@cbs.umn.edu=20
  href=3D"mailto:mou-net@cbs.umn.edu">mou-net@cbs.umn.edu</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, August 05, 2005 =
8:50=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [mnbird] Jim and John=20
  Fitzpatrick give talk</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>Last night I went to the Carpenter Nature Center annual =
members=20
  and <BR>volunteers banquet.&nbsp; The invited speaker, John =
Fitzpatrick, spoke=20
  about the <BR>Ivory-billed Woodpecker and his brother, Jim, who was =
one of the=20
  search <BR>team members who saw one of the reported birds, described =
his own=20
  <BR>sighting.&nbsp; John showed the "Luneau" video--the whole part =
where they=20
  were <BR>approaching the bird, and then slowed it down (this footage, =
by the=20
  way, is <BR>out on DVD now) and also played a few of the recordings =
they are=20
  in the <BR>process of analyzing.&nbsp; Some really are tantalizing--I =
can't=20
  think of <BR>anything else that could have made the "kent" calls =
except=20
  possibly a Blue <BR>Jay with an Arkansas accent--but to be honest, I =
really=20
  can't imagine one <BR>doing such a perfect imitation without having =
heard the=20
  real thing a <BR>LOT.&nbsp; Blue Jay imitations seem, in my experience =
with=20
  them in the midwest, <BR>to be based on sounds that are heard =
frequently or=20
  involve some sort of <BR>extraordinary, maybe stress-producing, =
event.&nbsp; I=20
  would love to hear <BR>anyone's recording of a non-captive Blue Jay =
(or even a=20
  captive Blue Jay?) <BR>making these "kent" calls.<BR><BR>John also =
played a=20
  few of the "double knocks."&nbsp; One of those recordings <BR>included =
two=20
  sets of double knocks, one much louder than the other.&nbsp; I'm =
<BR>not at=20
  all convinced that was two birds--I've heard Downy and Pileated =
<BR>drums that=20
  were louder, and then softer, as the bird changed orientation in =
<BR>the same=20
  tree, and since these recordings were from remotes, with no one =
<BR>seeing the=20
  birds producing the sounds, I can't be certain about this.<BR><BR>I =
can't wait=20
  till the AOU meeting in Santa Barbara at the end of the month, =
<BR>which I=20
  will be attending.&nbsp; The search team is presenting four papers, =
with=20
  <BR>detailed analyses of the recordings, videos, and sight =
records.&nbsp; It=20
  <BR>promises to be most enlightening.<BR><BR>Anyway, I've posted this =
on my=20
  blog today, along with some interesting <BR>links, one by a skeptic, =
and also=20
  how to get the DVD of the Luneau video.<BR><BR><A=20
  title=3Dhttp://www.birderblog.com/=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.birderblog.com/">http://www.birderblog.com/</A><BR><BR=
><BR>Laura=20
  Erickson<BR>Duluth, MN<BR><BR><BR><A =
title=3Dhttp://www.birderblog.com/=20
  href=3D"http://www.birderblog.com">www.birderblog.com</A><BR><BR>There =
is=20
  symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of <BR>birds.&nbsp; =
There=20
  is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of =
<BR>nature--the=20
  assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the=20
  =
winter.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
  --Rachel=20
  =
  =
href=3D"mailto:mnbird@lists.mnbird.net">mnbird@lists.mnbird.net</A><BR><A=
=20
  title=3Dhttp://www.mnbird.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mnbird=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.mnbird.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mnbird">http://www=
mnbird.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mnbird</A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></B=