[mou] Hummingbird Question

Ron Green rongreen@charter.net
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:33:07 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01C59FF2.64C41040

I have a couple of questions regarding our resident Ruby-Throated HB's =
(male and female) that I am hoping someone could educate my wife and me =
on regarding a several issues?

1) Last night, my wife and I were eating dinner and watching the male =
HB. Anyway, we just noticed a bright red patch under its throat. I have =
taken quite a few close-up images and have not seen this before. Is the =
probably another male, or is it a change in the one that has been =
hanging around the most?

2) The last week or so it seems that the male has shifted to coming to =
the feeder frequently, but not necessarily to drink. It flys around, and =
darts back and forth. It seems like it is patroling? Is this territorial =
behavior? We do have a female that shows up occaisionally and he does =
tend to chase her off. But, she does come back when he is not around. =
Also, there is another male that does come around but is quickly chased =
by our resident one. However, the one getting chased off seems rather =
persistent and keeps coming back.

3) I was at Wild Birds Unlimited last Sunday to give a talk on Digital =
Photography. I happened to talk with a customer of the store who was =
telling me that she had quite a few HB's at her feeder at one time (I =
thought she said 10, but don't quote me on that). I was surprised based =
on what happens at out feeder and from a talk we had heard from a HB =
expert at the Quarry Hill Nature Center around February or March of this =
year.=20

I would be interested in some inputs on the above. Thank you in advance.

Ron Green
http://www.greensphotoimages.com/gallery
------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01C59FF2.64C41040

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have a couple of questions regarding =
our resident=20
Ruby-Throated HB's (male and&nbsp;female)&nbsp;that I am hoping someone =
could=20
educate my wife and me on regarding a several issues?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1) Last night,&nbsp;my wife and I were =
eating=20
dinner and watching the male HB. Anyway, we just noticed a&nbsp;bright =
red patch=20
under its throat. I have taken quite a few&nbsp;close-up images =
and&nbsp;have=20
not seen this before. Is the probably another male, or is it a change in =
the one=20
that has been hanging around the most?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2) The last week or so it seems that =
the male has=20
shifted to coming to the feeder frequently, but not necessarily to =
drink. It=20
flys around, and darts&nbsp;back and forth. It seems like it =
is&nbsp;patroling?=20
Is this territorial behavior? We do have a female that shows up =
occaisionally=20
and he does tend to chase her off. But, she does&nbsp;come back when he =
is not=20
around. Also, there is another male that does come around but is quickly =
chased=20
by our resident one. However, the one getting chased off seems rather =
persistent=20
and keeps coming back.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3) I was at Wild Birds Unlimited last =
Sunday to=20
give a talk on Digital Photography. I happened to talk with a customer =
of the=20
store who was telling me that she had quite a few HB's at her feeder at =
one time=20
(I thought she said 10, but don't quote me on that). I was surprised =
based on=20
what happens at out feeder and from a talk we had heard from a HB expert =
at the=20
Quarry Hill Nature Center around February or March of this year. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would be interested in some inputs on =
the above.=20
Thank you in advance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ron Green<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.greensphotoimages.com/gallery">http://www.greensphotoi=
mages.com/gallery</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01C59FF2.64C41040--