[mou] Carolina Wren & passerine migration: Hawk Ridge, Duluth

Debbie Waters dlpwaters@charter.net
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 23:19:43 -0500

The passerine banding operation has been going since August 1, and it’s been
very exciting so far: numbers have been unusually high.  Some of the birds
passerine bander Dave Grosshuesch is seeing now include large numbers of
Nashville Warblers, a lot of Mourning Warblers, and good numbers of
Tennessee Warblers.  The warbler migration is in full swing!  Nineteen
species of warblers have so far been banded at the station; highlights
include Connecticut Warbler, Bay-breasted Warbler, Cape May Warbler,
Blackburnian Warbler, Wilson’s Warbler, Canada Warbler, Golden-winged
Warbler, and Northern Waterthrush.  All three flycatcher regulars, Least,
Traill’s, and Yellow-bellied, have been making regular appearances, plus an
Eastern Phoebe.  Dave’s total is 1100 birds over 13 days of banding (~6
hours each), about twice the normal number—for reasons unknown.  The rest of
the season could prove to be interesting.

Exciting, rare, and unusual glimpses this week: Dave Grosshuesch caught and
banded a Carolina Wren this morning!  The bird was a hatch year (meaning it
hatched this year).  It was obviously a first for Hawk Ridge; in fact, there
are only a handful of St. Louis County records for this species.  The
passerine excitement continues!

More Hawk Ridge News can be found on our website:
http://www.hawkridge.org/news.htm
__________________________________

Debbie Waters, Education Director
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
P.O. Box 3006
Duluth, MN 55803-3006
(218) 428-6209
dwaters@hawkridge.org
www.hawkridge.org

"I am a predator.  I hunt for knowledge!"  --4th grader, Northern Lights
Elementary

"Migration--it's a family tradition!"  --4th grader, Great Lakes Elementary