[mou] Night Hawks/Trumpeters

Kelly Larson northernflights@charter.net
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:36:43 -0500

    Late Tuesday afternoon while driving to a Headwaters Canoe Club
outing I observed hundreds of Night Hawk. Most were seen flying low
along open areas on State Hwy 71/200 through Beltrami and Hubbard
counties. This is the largest movement I have ever witnessed. They
seemed to be taking there time, feeding as they went.
    Tuesday's destination, Skunk Lake (north of Park Rapids and
Emmaville), was a true Northern classic. Resident Bald Eagles, 4 Loons,
3 Great Blue Heron, and Black Tern. The big surprise came after paddling
a weed choked channel to enter a large, secluded back bay. A family of 5
Trumpeter Swans are in residence. They have a tiny little island in this
backwater area that looks like an ideal nesting site.
    Coupled with today's cool temperatures and much needed rain it does
feel like Fall is creeping in up here. Even the woods are beginning to
smell a little different. Monarchs are out in full force, and there are
many more LBB's moving through the thickets.

Kelly Larson
--
We moved.
We changed our name.