[mou] New Germany - Red knot

chetmeyers@visi.com chetmeyers@visi.com
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:50:06 -0500

Chet Meyers writes:
Miriam and I just returned from a great trip to Blue Mounds State Park in Rock
County.  The blue grosbeaks are still around. Found a cooperative male near the
intepretive center...also yellow-billed cuckoo in Jackson County near Grovers
corners.  On return we stopped by New Germany.  While three weeks ago there was
too much water, on Aug. 19 most of the water was gone from the larger of the
ponds. On the furthest west pond, north of county road 30 near its inersection
with Yancy we found a juvenile red knot.  Got excellent looks at it and stayed
with it for fifteen minutes to be sure. On the larger pond, south of Yancy lots
of pectorals, lesser yellow-legs and peeps (Baird's, least, semipalmated).
Chet Meyers, Hennepin County