[mou] Shorebirds

Dan Deutsch deut0039@umn.edu
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:50:04 -0500

So I found some shorebirds, but not around the Twin Cities. If you
happen to be out in Northwestern Minnesota check out Hamden Slough
National Wildlife Refuge. It is located 7 miles west of Detroit Lakes.
While driving around I found a very large mudflat area that had quite a
few shorebirds on it. I was unable to ID any of them as I do not have a
scope. There were also quite a few gulls that looked interesting.

If you plan on heading out there directions to the site are as follows:
from Highway 10 follow the signs to the refuge, at one point you will be
at a T in the road and see the sign welcoming you to the refuge. Turn
right and you should be on county road 104. !04 goes east and then turns
north. About 1.5 miles or so you will see the large mudflat on your
left. Continue on a ways and there is an overlook that will be a good
spot to scope for birds.

Happy Birding.

Dan Deutsch