[mou] Lark Bunting in Cook Co.

Jim & Carol Tveekrem jotcat@boreal.org
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:04:49 -0500

About 4 p.m. we identified an immature Lark Bunting hanging around the MN
Dept. of Transportation gravel pit in Schroeder.  The entrance to this area
is opposite Satellite's Restaurant on Highway 61.  The pit is used for
storage, and trucks are loading gravel and/or asphalt scrapings on weekdays,
so parking is iffy.  When we saw it, the bird was eating seeds in the weeds
at the west edge of the clearing.

Good movement of warblers and vireos the past 3 days.  Best birds:
Connecticut W., No. Parula; Wilson's W., Canada W., Blackpoll, Hermit
Thrush, Blue-headed Vireo, several Mourning W., numerous Nashville,
Tennessee and Chestnut-sided and Black-throated Green W.  After very low
numbers last fall, we are seeing many more Veeries and Swainson's Thrushes
so far.

Carol & Jim Tveekrem