[mou] Snowy Owl at Duluth Airport

Jim Lind jslind@frontiernet.net
Tue, 06 Dec 2005 21:41:20 -0600

This afternoon at about 4:00 pm there was a Snowy Owl along Airport
Approach Road, on top of a telephone pole near the end of the runway.
 Airport Approach Road can be reached by turning north off US Highway
53 at Stebner Road, which I think becomes Airport Approach Road when
you pass the prison.  The owl was between the prison entrance and the
Fed Ex building.  This may be the same bird reported from Stebner
Road on November 24th.

I did not stop to look at the owl, but from my brief glance it looked
large and heavily marked and I'm guessing it was a female.  I
remember hearing about several encounters of birders with law
enforcement (local police, military police, and prison personnel) in
this exact area last winter, so people looking for the bird should
use discretion.

The bird was about 700 feet outside of the Duluth CBC circle...

Jim Lind
Two Harbors