[mou] Ivory-billed Woodpecker articles and personal mental wonderings about the birding community and habitat conservation

Brad Bolduan bbolduan@rconnect.com
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:24:51 -0600

Although I was burned out on the Ivory-billed Woodpecker hype for a while, I
thought I should pass along the following link which I saw posted on the
Iowa List Serve.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/12/13/ivorybilled.woodpecker.reut/index
.html

The article discusses the contributions hunters have made in habitat
protection and monitoring with regard to the recent rediscovery of the
Ivory-Billed Woodpecker.  I personally believe that this is an important
message and I believe the article is well written - it may be worth a look.
The person posting to the Iowa list emphasized that birders, as well, can
buy migratory waterfowl stamps (duck stamps) and that 98% of the revenue
raised through these purchases goes toward habitat acquisition.

The most recent issue of North American Birds also has a section dedicated
to Ivory-Billed Woodpecker monitoring and potential for rediscovery in the
Southeastern US which I found interesting.  It, also, may be worth reading
if you can find a copy.

Thinking about birders (MOU specifically) and habitat conservation....and
just thinking off the top of my head...  I know some birders say they are
reluctant to buy waterfowl stamps, but we all seem to believe conservation
is important...  Has the MOU ever considered the possibility fund-raising
for targeted habitat "acquisitions" (in conjunction with TNC, DNR, or
USFWS)?  With the exception of Hawk Ridge I have never heard the possibility
discussed, although the need for birders to be involved in conservation has
often been discussed on this list.  I am thinking of an initative similiar
to the fund raising attempts for Bolviar Flats a few years ago.

Perhaps if TNC, USFWS, or DNR has a willing landowner near Felton Prairie,
Red Rock Prairie, Salt Lake or near selected areas through-out the state...
there could be an organized structure for raising money from the birding
community (after all 36% of the state's population has been labeled as "Bird
Watchers").  Perhaps the birding community would be more willing to
contribute if they knew where their habitat dollars would be spent.  Just a
thought....

If anyone is still reading, perhaps the MOU could take an active role in
finding volunteers for monitoring or habitat improvement projects such as
buckthorn removal.  Williams Nature Park (home of the often watched Kentucky
Warblers) is one spot that is becoming overgrown with exotic species
(buckthorn).  Perhaps the MOU could provide a method of organizing "habitat
crews" for such projects (assuming that the landowner has a similiar
interest in preserving the habitat).  TNC does something similiar for
habitat improvement projects on their preserves.  Perhaps it could be as
simple as a volunteer opportunity posting to this list, a listing of
upcoming habitat projects on the MOU website, or an annual supplement to the
newsletter similiar to the ABA's "Volunteer Opportunities".  I wonder how
much interest there might be for such a initative.  (I also wonder if the
buckthorn at Williams could ever be eliminated by physical or chemical
means)

These activities may well be beyond the current abilities or interests of
the MOU, but the article got me thinking about the issues, possibilities,
and ...

Thank you for your patience,

Brad Bolduan
Windom, MN