[mou] Possible Iceland Gull, kittiwake -Black Dog

James Mattsson mattjim@earthlink.net
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:37:14 -0600

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

12/20/05
4:45pm
Black Dog, west lake on ice

A sleeping immature white-winged gull caught my eye among resting large gulls viewed from the observation platform along Black Dog Rd. It was partially obscurred by other gulls, but it appeared to be the same-size or slightly smaller than adjacent HEGUs. It lifted its head for a second and the two-toned bill appeared dark on outer one-half, not outer one-third as in Glaucous Gull. The bill also seemed smaller than adjacent HEGUs. The flock lifted off and circled for a minute and the bird appeared uniform buffy overall but with contrastingly white primaries. It did not seem bulky enough for Glaucous Gull. When it landed, it's head was more round and its bill appreared slightly smaller than HEGUs. I assumed it was a 2nd winter bird based on its rather muddy (not neatly patterned) coverts and its two-toned bill.  Unfortunately, it was absorbed within seconds and concealed by the throng of other gulls and the viewing time was frustratingly short, ergo the subject line qualifier "
 Possible" Iceland Gull. I would like to know if others have seen a bird of similar description.

Also, the Black-legged Kittiwake was present in the flock as well. This is day #14 for this individual.

Jim
Eagan
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: small; FONT-FAMILY: Times New Roman"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>12/20/05</DIV>
<DIV>4:45pm</DIV>
<DIV>Black Dog, west lake on ice</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A sleeping immature white-winged gull caught my eye among resting large gulls viewed from the observation platform along Black Dog Rd. It was partially obscurred by other gulls, but it appeared&nbsp;to be the&nbsp;same-size or slightly smaller than adjacent HEGUs. It lifted its head for a second and the two-toned bill appeared dark on outer one-half, not outer one-third as in Glaucous Gull.&nbsp;The bill also seemed smaller than adjacent HEGUs. The flock lifted off and circled for a&nbsp;minute&nbsp;and the bird appeared uniform buffy overall&nbsp;but with contrastingly white&nbsp;primaries.&nbsp;It did not seem bulky enough for Glaucous Gull. When it landed, it's head was more round and its bill&nbsp;appreared slightly smaller than HEGUs.&nbsp;I assumed&nbsp;it was a 2nd winter bird based on its rather muddy (not neatly patterned) coverts and its two-toned bill. &nbsp;Unfortunately, it was absorbed within seconds and concealed by the throng of other gulls and the viewin
 g time was frustratingly short, ergo the subject line qualifier "Possible" Iceland Gull. I would like to know if others have seen a bird of similar description. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Also, the Black-legged Kittiwake was present in the flock as well. This is day #14 for this individual.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jim</DIV>
<DIV>Eagan</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>