[mou] RE: Ann Lake (Solitaire present)

Swanbird swanbird@att.net
Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:05:28 -0600

Al,

We searched for the Townsend's Solitaire today per your instructions. We
were surprised that there was a PAIR of Townsend's Solitaires. It seems from
your posts that you were talking about a single bird. They were warbling and
chasing each other around. We tried to locate it last season, but were
unsuccessful. Thanks for your posts. We had never seen one in Minnesota
before.

We parked at the entrance of the unplowed road that goes to the Ann Lake
campground and walked up to where the cross country ski trail crossed this
road. The pair was on this trail just about 100' north of the road.

Joel and Lisa Swanstrom

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu] On Behalf
Of Pastor Al Schirmacher
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:02 AM
To: mou-net@cbs.umn.edu; mnbird@lists.mnbird.net
Cc: Nancy_Haugen@fws.gov; Jeanne_Holler@fws.gov
Subject: [mou] Sherburne NWR, Ann Lake (Solitaire present)

Walked portions of Blue Hill Trail and the Ann Lake snowmobile trail this
morning, also toured the Wildlife Drive.

Highlight was the Townsend's Solitaire at Ann Lake, also a Northern Shrike
scattering a flock of waxwings.  An Eastern Screech Owl called twice before
dawn on Blue Hill; single Redpoll flew over.  The Wildlife Drive continues
very quiet (where are the Rough-leggeds this winter?).

For those interested in seeing the Solitaire, best strategy seems to be take

the access road off of Sherburne CR 5 (near CR 4), drive in about a mile to
the small parking lot on the right, then walk the southern snowmobile trail
while scanning the tops of the trees.  I've found it as close as 10-20 feet
from the trail, and as far as 150 yards.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties