[mou] Sax-Zim

Steve Weston sweston2@comcast.net
Mon, 26 Dec 2005 00:35:47 -0600

this morning I went for my annual Christmas morning Sax-Zim bog drive.
Weather was mild, actually above freezing and overcast.  Unpaved roads were
very icy.

 Even though conditions were conducive for finding hunting owls, none were
seen!  The only raptors were 8 adult Bald Eagles and 7 Rough-legged Hawks.
Corvids were plentiful, including 4 Magpies in three locations and several
Canada Jays.   Finches were difficult to find.  The most widespread were
small groups of Pine Grosbeaks.  One large group of at least 30 Redpoles was
observed.  The only other finch was a single Goldfinch.  Lastly a flock of
at least six Ruffed Grouse was seen.

sweston2@comcast.net