[mou] Owls, N. Hawk in Aitkin, GGOwl in Isanti

JELLISBIRD@aol.com JELLISBIRD@aol.com
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:49:56 EST

    Went owling with my sons Alex and Jesse, and Jesse's friend Anya in St.
Louis, Aitkin & oddly, Isanti counties.We missed on reported GGOwl on McDavitt
and the N. Hawk Owls on Stone Lake Road. We did find a Great Horned Owl on
Stone Lake Road, on the N side about 2/3 miles E of St. Louis 7 at dusk on the
26th. Had a second hand report from my sister in Buhl (from a friend of hers) of
a Snowy Owl last week on a telephone pole in Buhl. Saw an overwintering?
RWBlackbird at my sisters feeder in Buhl. We heard BOREAL CHICKADEE(s?) on Owl
Avenue just N of the bend on Monday.
    This AM we could not find Snowy Owls in the Harbor at Duluth. We found a
NORTHERN HAWK OWL along MN200 at mile 184, just a ways west of Rabey
Management area. We saw it hunting and taking game. Could not find GGOwl at Aitkin 18,
Aitkin 5, Pietz's road area but then saw a GREAT GREY OWL hunting from a
telephone pole along MN65 about .3 mile north of Isanti County 25 on the west side
of the road. We drove past it and were turning around and it plunged to the
grassy margin of the road and then flew up and into the woods on the W side of
65.
    I also had a report of a SNOWY OWL in Douglas County on the E. side of
Lake Irene along Douglas County 64 from last week (probably Wednesday.)

    John Ellis (St. Paul)