[mou] Dakota Co. Gyrfalcon

James Mattsson mattjim@earthlink.net
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:26:54 -0600

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

The adult Gyfalcon (gray phase) was still present at 4:55pm. It was perched atop a pole on the north side of the Hi 55 about 1/3 mi. east of where CR 42 branches off to the north. It was near mile marker 216.  Rush hour traffic was horrendous, but I managed to stop at a pull out about 150-200m west of the bird. I took a few digiscoped images and then moved even further away. The bird was not wearing any jesses. The bird remained for another 7-8 minutes. It then locked onto something to the north and then made an awe inspiring powered dive low over the ground and flew into a flock of several hundred field feeding Mallards and some Canada geese. It made two unsuccessful passes and then flew east and eventually out of sight. I searched for it but there was no access to the area it flew toward.

Of course, timing is everything, so thanks to Chris Benson for finding the bird and to Diane Anderson for the quick posting. With the large number of waterfowl in the area, the bird may remain in the area. Just be very careful of traffic. Incidentally, this bird was 6 miles east of where I documented a juvenile gray phase gyr in January, 2004.

James Mattsson
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2523" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>The adult Gyfalcon (gray phase) was still present at 4:55pm. It was perched atop a pole on the north side of the Hi 55 about 1/3 mi. east of where CR 42 branches off to the north. It was near mile marker 216.&nbsp; Rush hour traffic was horrendous, but I managed to stop at a pull out about 150-200m west of the bird. I took a few digiscoped images and then moved even further away. The bird was not wearing any jesses. The bird remained for another 7-8 minutes. It then locked onto something to the north and then made an awe inspiring&nbsp;powered dive low over the ground and flew into a flock of several hundred field feeding Mallards and some Canada geese. It made two unsuccessful passes and&nbsp;then flew east and eventually out of sight. I searched for it but there was no access to the area it flew toward.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Of course, timing is everything, so thanks to Chris Benson for finding the bird and to Diane Anderson for the quick posting. With the large number of waterfowl in the area, the bird may remain in the area. Just be very careful of traffic. Incidentally, this bird was 6 miles east of where I documented a juvenile gray phase gyr in January, 2004. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>James Mattsson</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>