[mou] Borderland update / Evening Grosbeaks present in large numbers

Tom Crumpton reforest@wiktel.com
Sat, 05 Feb 2005 09:49:43 -0600

Hi,
The decline in evening grosbeak numbers certainly is not apparent here!
I feed 60+ evening grosbeaks throughout the morning and into the
afternoon.  A professional wildlife photographer here in December
reported 180+ here at one time.  There are also lots of redpolls with
the occasional hoary redpoll.  Also gold finches, nuthatches, pine
grosbeaks and chickadees.  I feed evening grosbeaks year around.  They
do not frequent the feeder as regularly, or for as long, during the
summer.  But they certainly add to the color when the rose breasted
grosbeaks, orioles, finches and other birds are here.  The location is
on the canadian border in extreme North North Central MN.  Feeder site
actually overlooks Canada. Other items of note here include year round
eagles (many nests in vicinity), pelicans in large numbers at times and
40+ wood ducks feed in front yard in May (gone by June).  Hummingbirds
in good numbers (20 # + sugar consumed last august).  If anyone is
interested they are welcome to contact me.  Its a very private location
and you won't see it from any roadway.
Take Care Tom Crumpton