[mou] Northern Pine County Owls

markfalcon@comcast.net markfalcon@comcast.net
Sun, 06 Feb 2005 14:31:17 +0000

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_18880_1107700277_0

Steve Novatney. Al Nelsoon, and I did our Northern Pine County Owl survey on Saturday. 2/5. We were shocked to find that few Owls were there for us to see anymore. We saw a single Northern Hawk Owl East of Kerrick on 154 and two Great Grays that we circled back for (since we saw no other Owls, the survey went very quickly) and found along Koecher (pronounced Kegger) Road where it branches off of HWY 23 N of Duquette and then heads north. One was 1/2 mile North of  HWY 23. the other was 1/2 mile south of HWY 46.  We are wondering if it is anomalous behavior due to the warm temps (50 degrees) crusting the snow or if the birds have really dispersed elsewhere. The numbers being seen East of Hinckley in Southern Pine County have me believing the leading edge of the irruption has moved south and this area is not seeing new birds following. This may be similar to what was reported in Carlton County the last 2 weeks. Maybe this day I was in the eye of the Owl hurricane? The NHOW was
 very active, flying sorties every minute or so, so falcon-like, so quick in flight. We saw only 1 Northen Shrike and for the first time this year in Pine County, we were skunked for Rough-Legged Hawks.

Mark Alt
Brooklyn Center, MN
--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_18880_1107700277_0

<DIV>Steve Novatney. Al Nelsoon, and I did our Northern Pine County Owl survey on Saturday. 2/5. We were shocked to find that&nbsp;few&nbsp;Owls were&nbsp;there for us to see anymore. We saw a single Northern Hawk Owl East of Kerrick on 154 and two Great Grays that we circled back for (since we saw no other Owls, the survey went very quickly) and found along Koecher (pronounced Kegger) Road where it branches off of HWY 23 N of Duquette and then heads north. One was 1/2 mile North of&nbsp; HWY 23. the other was 1/2 mile south of HWY 46.&nbsp; We are wondering if it&nbsp;is anomalous behavior due to the warm temps (50 degrees) crusting the snow or if the birds have really dispersed elsewhere. The numbers being seen East of Hinckley in Southern Pine County have me believing the leading edge of the irruption has moved south and this area is not seeing new&nbsp;birds following.&nbsp;This&nbsp;may be&nbsp;similar to what was reported in Carlton County the last 2 weeks. Maybe this d
 ay I was in the eye of the Owl hurricane? The NHOW was very active, flying sorties every minute or so,&nbsp;so falcon-like, so quick in flight. We saw only 1 Northen Shrike and for the first time this year in Pine County, we were skunked for&nbsp;Rough-Legged Hawks.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mark Alt</DIV>
<DIV>Brooklyn Center, MN</DIV></body></html>

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_18880_1107700277_0--