[mou] Quick post from Aitkin County

Warren Nelson wenelson@mlecmn.net
Sun, 06 Feb 2005 20:11:26 -0600

It is amazing how jaded some of us (not to mention myself) have become.
Today I found 48 GREAT GRAY OWLS and 5 NORTHERN HAWK OWLS and thought I
had a bad day.  Most of the owls started to show up after 3:00 P.M.
Strong winds and too much sun seems to have kept them out of sight most
of the day. The biggest concentrations were along C.R.5, C.R.4 and C.R.
1.  There were 9 birds in a single field along C.R. 4 about 5 miles west
of highway 65. Also 16 birds were seen along the route described earlier
( from the junction of C.R.5 and highway 210, go south on 5 for a mile
to 400th St., then west to 305th Ave., then north to highway 210 ---a
distance of about 3 miles).  All five Northern Hawk Owls were on C.R.1.
I also had several small flocks of SNOW BUNTINGS, a lone PINE GROSBEAK
and a couple of GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS at the Rabey tree farm.   Warren
Nelson