[mou] Birding in Rice County and beyond

DEE ANN BARTKEY deeann07@msn.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:50:37 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C51062.31D66220

Hi everyone!
  I went out birding today with a couple ladies from the bird club here =
and had a decent day. Birding highlights within the county boundaries =
were:

Northern Shrike
Rough-legged Hawk
Mourning Dove (3)
Coopers Hawk
and Horned Lark

  We headed to Farmington next to see the Eurasian Collared Doves and =
spotted 4 birds there. Last weekend, my daughter and I travelled there =
and saw 6 in one tree.

  It was around 3 o'clock at this time so we headed up to make another =
attempt at the Gyrfalcon, which was my third try. While near Idell Ave, =
we ran into several other birders who were going back to Hwy. 55 to look =
at the bird, so we followed and before long, we got to see it! It was =
perched to the north of 55, and we were all parked near the 216 mile =
marker. Jim Mattson told us that the tree it was in was one it has been =
found in several times before. This bird ended up being extra special =
for me because it was #300 on my Minnesota list! When I imagined what =
species my 300 would be, I sure didn't predict it would be a Dakota =
County Gyrfalcon! I certainly have no complaints though!

  A nice way to end the day!

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey
deeann07@msn.com<mailto:deeann07@msn.com>
Faribault,MN
------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C51062.31D66220

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1479" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><!--[gte IE 5]><?xml:namespace =
prefix=3D"v" /><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" /><![endif]-->
<DIV>Hi everyone!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; I went out birding today with a couple ladies from the bird =
club=20
here and had a decent day. Birding highlights within the county =
boundaries=20
were:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Northern Shrike</DIV>
<DIV>Rough-legged Hawk</DIV>
<DIV>Mourning Dove (3)</DIV>
<DIV>Coopers Hawk</DIV>
<DIV>and Horned Lark</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; We headed to Farmington next to see the Eurasian Collared =
Doves and=20
spotted 4 birds there. Last weekend, my daughter and I travelled there =
and saw 6=20
in one tree.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; It was around 3 o'clock at this time so we headed up to make =
another=20
attempt at the Gyrfalcon, which was&nbsp;my third try. While near Idell =
Ave, we=20
ran into several other birders&nbsp;who were going back to Hwy. 55 to =
look at=20
the bird,&nbsp;so we followed and before long, we got to see it! It was =
perched=20
to the north of 55, and we were all parked&nbsp;near the 216 mile =
marker. Jim=20
Mattson told us that&nbsp;the tree it was in was one it has been found =
in=20
several times before.&nbsp;This bird ended up being extra special for me =
because=20
it was #300 on my Minnesota list! When I imagined what species my 300 =
would be,=20
I sure didn't&nbsp;predict it would be a Dakota County Gyrfalcon! I =
certainly=20
have no complaints though!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; A nice way to end the day!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Good birding!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dave Bartkey</DIV>