[mou] Just an average day in Aitkin County

Warren Nelson wenelson@mlecmn.net
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:07:16 -0600

Today, Bill Stauffer and I birded in the county in the morning and Steve
and Jo Blanich  and I birded in the afternoon covering different areas
and came up with 130 GREAT GRAY OWLS, 7 NORTHERN HAWK OWLS, 1 GREAT
HORNED OWL , 2 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS,  6 NORTHERN SHRIKES, 5 GRAY JAYS, 2
RUFFED GROUSE.  The biggest numbers of owls were found along C.R.4
(several birds), C.R. 5 (21 in a 3 mile stretch just south of the
junction with highway 210 and several in the Kimberly area),  Gun Lake
Road and township 380 ( 22 birds in a 4 mile stretch),  17 Great Gray
Owls and 3 Northern Hawk Owls along a township road just west off of
C.R.16 south of Tamarack) , C.R.1 (12 birds) and several others along
different roads mostly all south of the Palisade area.  We didn't find
any Great Gray Owls along C.R.18 but that might be partly because we
were there in the middle of the day ( 2 of the hawk owls were along
C.R.18.)    Warren Nelson