[mou] Northwest trip

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:39:59 -0600

Spent the last three days birding in northwestern Minnesota.  Most
interesting sightings follow.

Bohemian Waxwings-Gonvick (Clearwater Cty), Mahnomen (300-400, Mahnomen
Cty), Twin Valley (Norman Cty), Greenbush (Roseau Cty), and Karlstad
(Kittson Cty.)

Horned Larks-pretty much everywhere as far north as Roseau Cty

Redpolls-everywhere in large numbers, even a couple of hoary candidates in
with large flocks at feeders

Red-bellied Woodpecker-at a feeder just south of Ebro (Clearwater Cty),
there are few records this far north

Snow Buntings-as far north as northern Marshall Cty

Owls-generally hard to find in the western areas. Very different from
Aitkin, Pine, etc areas.  Had most birds in Cass, Hubbard, Wadena and very
eastern Polk.  Disturbing was the fact that of the 8 Great Grays we found, 2
were dead.  Both hung up in trees.  Were they shot, hit by cars, or did they
die from starvation?  Being hung up in trees tends to make us suspect the
first alternative.  We will give these two locations in the hope that
somebody will figure out a way to retrieve them to be added to the
scientific analysis.

Dead Great Gray Owl locations

Roseau County-Cty Rd 6, 100 yards west of 120th Ave, just less that 2 miles
east of the Kittson Cty line and Cty Rd 9 which goes into Karlstad, in tree
right next to road hanging over county right of way but too high for us to
reach without a ladder of pole

Cass County-Cty Rd 19, 1.6 miles east of the Wadena Cty line in northwest
corner of county, about 50 yards to the north of the road in a tree that is
slightly taller than the brush around it, not that far up but on private
property and we were not willing to cross the fence

Overall a great trip with lots (by winter standards) of great birds.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com