[mou] Varied Thrush -- Bloomington, Hennepin County

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:44:47 -0600

Saw the Varied Thrush about noon in the backyard of the house, seen from
110th,  feeding on the ground right next to the telephone pole.

The Great Black-backed Gull was seen way down the east pond on the edge of
the ice.  This area was reached by walking the trail from the east channel
and following the north shore of the lake for some distance.  Of interest to
us in this area was what appeared to be a first winter Herring Gull with
extremely bright orange-yellow legs.  Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Was it not a Herring Gull but something different?  It definitely was not a
Ring-billed Gull as there were other birds there for comparison.

The Great Gray Owl in Chaska appears to have moved on or we simply missed
it.  Lastly saw a Brown Thrasher coming to a feeder in Deephaven, not far
from our house.  Anyone working on a January list give us a call for
information.

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com