[mou] FW: Sax-Zim solutions

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 19:28:05 -0600

We are getting concerns and suggestions from out of state. Points well
made from a fellow named Jim greenway. FYI.

Mark Alt=20
MOU President
mark.alt@bestbuy.com
C/O J. F. Bell Museum of Natural History
University of Minnesota
10 Church Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0104
MOU.mn.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Greenway [mailto:mtnpathfinder@msn.com]=20
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 6:44 PM
To: Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Subject: Sax-Zim solutions

Mark: I'm one of the probably many out of state birders that monitor the
MN=20
lists for word about a GGO irruption. As a CBC compiler I'm very
sensitive=20
to checking feeders, etc. and the potential for irking the feeder owner.
I=20
thought I'd thow out a couple of ideas that I had for the S-Z situation.

For one, never underestimate the power of capitalism and the concept of=20
"eco-tourism." If birding trip guides are compensated for showing birds
to=20
people, then why can't feeder owners be compensated for creating magnets
for=20
the birds? Down here in Ga., there are lots of private fishing holes at=20
which there is no permanent on-site caretaker. Anglers are free to come
and=20
go. A sign at the gate, however, firmly asks them to deposit a nominal
fee=20
in a secure wooden drop box conspicuously located near the entrance in=20
exchange for the privilege of fishing. Perhaps asking some of the=20
property/feeder owners if they'd like to at least recoup the cost of
their=20
feed, feeders and time might encourage more of them to make the feeders=20
available for public viewing.

A combination of the "birders welcome" sign and a small, padlocked drop
box=20
with a sign that solicits a $1-2 fee or a donation might be the ticket.=20
Giving the feeder owners bags of feeder is a great idea, but how much
room=20
will many of them have for storing all of this feed? And what if they
can't=20
dispose of it before it spoils? There are always those "cheapskate"
birders=20
that won't donate a $10-15 bag of feed because "someone else dropped off

some" or "I gave at the last house."  Think of the economics. On a
really=20
good weekend, 30 to 40 birders might stop through. At $1 a pop, that's=20
$30-40 or enough to purchase 3-4 50 lb bags of black oil sunflower or
25-30=20
suet blocks per day. At only $40-50 a weekend for essentially two hours
of=20
work - one hour filling and tending; another for buying the feed - it=20
becomes a real incentive. Keep in mind that a weekend could probably net
an=20
owner enough to feed for several weeks in order to be a regular
attractor of=20
local birds.  This might even create competition among feeder owners as
they=20
begin to devise larger and more sophisticated feeder arrangements in
order=20
to become the most-visited (and compensated) yard because they've
attracted=20
the "most interesting" birds.

As an aside, I'm not much of a RBA "chaser." When I have visited feeders
at=20
local homes in order to pick up the unusual bird, I have taken a plate
of=20
cookies or a cake (pound, etc.) that will stay fresh and won't slide in
a=20
moving vehicle. This has bought a lot of goodwill from feeder owners who

have tolerated "free-loaders" visiting their homes.

Finally, I realize that Sax-Zim could be very close to its carrying
capacity=20
for visitors. Are there places *other than* Sax-Zim that out-of-staters
can=20
visit and get a reasonable opportunity at seeing these owls? I'm all the
way=20
down here in north Georgia but have been monitoring the situation in
case=20
the owls got far enough south for me to visit. My interest is so serious

that I actually try to listen to radio WELY's sunday birding show via my
DSL=20
internet connection!  I'd be strongly tempted to pass on Sax-Zim just to

avoid the opportunity to be run down on an icy road by another
Southerner=20
that can't drive in snow! I have the Eckert book but I realize that=20
"on-site" intelligence might be more useful.
Happy New Year - Jim

FREE!=20