[mou] Black-backed Woodpeckers

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:52:20 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4F4F2.65F19290

Two Black-backed Woodpeckers were seen today in Sax Zim bog. They were =
seen on the southern edge of the bog along McDavitt Rd.  From Sax Rd or =
from the Zim Rd depending on how you get to McDavitt Rd. drive till you =
see a red/white pole on the east side of the road. There is also a blue =
ribbon flag tied to a tree branch near it. If you miss these pointers =
then look for on the east side of the road a narrow corridor that has =
been cleared out. The birds were in this area on both sides of the road.

Saw several Great Greys and Northern Hawk Owls in the bog. Searched for =
the loon and Harlequins but they were not around but I assume the ducks =
have not left.  Saw a daze and confused Great Grey along the highway and =
cars zipping by it. I got out and walked it over to the yards and it =
took a running start and flew to a tree to rest. I am certain it was =
clipped by a car.=20

Walked into the my favorite reststop in Meadowlands and talked to locals =
and  found a another good place for Sharp-tailed Grouse and Snow =
Buntings.  At the meadowlands sewage pond road past the row of spruces =
you'll come to a tree plantation of aspen and locals have been seeing =
grouse in here and we found Snow Buntings in the field along this road =
on the west side of the road. We also found a large flock of Snow =
Buntings just north of the Byrn's Greenhouse on the west side of Co. Rd =
7. =20

As we left the Co-op one of the birders handed some money to the =
cashier. The cashier looked at me and said "what this for?" I looked =
backed as the birders left the building and I closed the door and walked =
over to these locals.  I talked to these and said "You see these out of =
state birders will give money to use your restrooms and visit your =
feeders." The locals looked with such surprise and opened mouths and I =
continued to mention " You bring these people to your yards and let them =
look at your finches and other birds they might drop anywhere from $10 =
to $50 depending on the number of birders that visit your yard".  The =
locals looked at each other and said " Really?" and I said "Yep".  The =
cashier then asks me " what should I do with this?" I told her to keep =
it, its a tip for letting us use your restrooms.

I think some went home today realizing there is gold in those trucks, =
passenger vans and cars that park on the shoulder viewing them owls!  =
Plus I felt good about it.

You know in a strange way it reminds me of the movie with Chevy Chase =
called "Funny Farm". At the end of the movie where Chevy pays money to =
the locals to be nice..=20

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4F4F2.65F19290

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Two Black-backed Woodpeckers =
were seen=20
today in Sax Zim bog. They were seen on the southern edge of the bog =
along=20
McDavitt Rd.&nbsp; From Sax Rd or from the Zim Rd depending on how you =
get to=20
McDavitt Rd. drive till you see a red/white pole on the east side of the =
road.=20
There is also a blue ribbon flag tied to a tree branch near it. If you =
miss=20
these pointers then look for on the east side of the road a narrow =
corridor that=20
has been cleared out. The birds were in this area on both sides of the=20
road.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Saw several Great Greys and =
Northern Hawk=20
Owls in the bog. Searched for the loon and Harlequins but they were not =
around=20
but I assume the ducks have not left.&nbsp; Saw a daze and confused =
Great Grey=20
along the highway and cars zipping by it. I got out and walked it over =
to the=20
yards and it took a running start and flew to a tree to rest. I am =
certain it=20
was clipped by a car. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Walked into the my favorite =
reststop in=20
Meadowlands and talked to locals and&nbsp; found a another good place =
for=20
Sharp-tailed Grouse and Snow Buntings.&nbsp; At the meadowlands sewage =
pond road=20
past the row of spruces you'll come to a tree plantation of aspen and =
locals=20
have been seeing grouse in here and we found Snow Buntings in the field =
along=20
this road on the west side of the road. We also found a large flock of =
Snow=20
Buntings just north of the Byrn's Greenhouse on the west side of Co. Rd =
7.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>As we left the Co-op one of =
the birders=20
handed some money to the cashier. The cashier looked at me and said =
"what this=20
for?" I looked backed as the birders left the building and I closed the =
door and=20
walked over to these locals.&nbsp; I talked to these and said "You see =
these out=20
of state birders will give money to use your restrooms and visit your =
feeders."=20
The locals looked with such surprise and opened mouths and I continued =
to=20
mention " You bring these people to your yards and let them look at your =
finches=20
and other birds they might drop anywhere from $10 to $50 depending on =
the number=20
of birders&nbsp;that visit your yard".&nbsp; The locals looked at each =
other and=20
said " Really?" and I said "Yep".&nbsp; The cashier then asks me " what =
should I=20
do with this?" I told her to keep it, its a tip for letting us use your=20
restrooms.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>I think some went home today =
realizing=20
there is gold in those trucks, passenger vans and cars that park on the =
shoulder=20
viewing them owls!&nbsp; Plus I felt good about it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>You know in a strange way it =
reminds me=20
of the movie with Chevy Chase called "Funny Farm". At the end of the =
movie where=20
Chevy pays money to the locals to be nice.. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4F4F2.65F19290--