[mou] E. Aitkin Co owls

Cindy Butler cbutler@lcp2.net
Sat, 08 Jan 2005 09:39:02 -0600

Hi Birders
We, too are having a good number of northern owls this winter showing up in
the Tamarack, McGregor area of Aitkin County. It is a rare day that a
drive to town doesn't include sighting of both species, some days up to 8
Great Grays and as many or more Hawk Owls and that's without even going out
of the way to look for them. There was a report of a Boreal Owl about a
mile north of Tamarack on Wed., but the owl hasn't been refound, if we find
it I will post it right away. Sharp-tailed grouse are also being seen north
of Tamarack. There are a few Pine Grosbeaks and flocks of Evening
Grosbeaks. Only one Hoary Redpoll and that was only seen one day, but tons
of Common Redpolls. What a great winter! Kim had a good week guiding in the
Sax-Zim area and also in Lake Co. He saw many owls and had a group of
strutting Spruce Grouse in Lake Co. Lots of fun for him and his clients.
Cindy & Kim
Tamarack, eastern Aitkin County, MN