[mou] (no subject)

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:30:03 -0600

Peder Svingen has asked me to post some other suggestions for Owl
viewing behavior and etiquette in addition to the ones I offered
earlier. Please consider these as guidelines. I believe if you take any
action with the benefit of the Owl in mind, you will be doing the right
thing.
*	When an owl is sighted while driving, stop 75 feet or more away
from a bird and turn off the engine.  Avoid disturbing the bird as it
feeds by being closer than that
*	If the bird is looking at you it is not paying attention to
hunting, leave it alone so it has a chance to feed.
*	Do not post a Boreal Owl sighting on the Mnbird or MOU-net. I am
not sure all the birding pressure directed at a single bird will be a
survivable incident. Please report it directly to the MOU rare bird
alert and, if possible to Steve Wilson, who specializes in this species.
Looking to discover the birds yourself may be challenging, but may
reduce the pressure on an individual bird.
*	Start looking for the dead birds as well as the live birds. Look
for the wing tips peeking out of the snow, not a pleasant task ,  yet it
is important to know if starvation is setting in.  We will have to check
out the dead birds to determine their conditions.
*	Stick to the uninhabited areas or to feeder homes where you know
you are welcome.=20
*	Do not drive less than 45 mph when on the main roads, if you
have to stop, pull off where there is a place to do so.  Walk to a
better viewing area.
*	Use a scope when a closer proximity is not available
*	Go out of your way to be friendly. Wave and smile at all passing
motorists.=20
*	If you have to stop and see birds at someone's home, please go
knock and talk with the person first, this may flush the birds, but it
is more important for you to gain permission than to see the birds.=20
*	Carry calling cards or business cards to give to people you meet
or to leave at local businesses.
*	Show respect to EVERY ONE.  Trappers and people with aggressive
trespassing signs should all be able to go on with their normal lives
without us disrupting them in any way.
Good Birding!

Mark Alt
MOU president