[mou] Bog Owls Today

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:07:05 -0600

I left my house for the Sax-Zim bog at 1 pm, so didn't get there until
after 2, and couldn't cover some of the roads I usually do and had to go a
little quicker than I like and stay in the car to finish up before
dark.  But in the time I was there I counted 47 Great Gray Owls and 8
Northern Hawk Owls--these were all close enough to the road that I could
see them easily as I drove without anyone else with me.  One Great Gray
flew at another and the two had something of a fight, but both ended up
staying in that area.

I was in my Prius, and just have to say it's the perfect birding car.  Not
only did I average 44 mpg (the mileage is significantly lower than normal
when temperatures are low like this, but 44 isn't too bad!), but every time
I stop for a bird, the gas engine automatically cuts out as the car
switches to just the electric motor, so the car is wonderfully silent--and
then there's no ignition to start up when I go again.  (Disclaimer--I'm not
related to and don't personally know any Toyota dealers, employees, etc.,
and have no connections whatsoever to the company.  I just think they've
made the perfect car for birding.)

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson