[mou] Two Snowy Owls

Mike Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:02:22 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4FECE.C08B9DF0

Thanks to John Arthur photos of last weekend Snowy Owls it was =
determined by myself and another birder that there are two snowy Owls in =
the vicinity of the Duluth Int'l Airport and the corner of Stebber Rd =
and Hwy 53 intersection. =20

While guiding my Minnesota Birding Treks group last Sunday we refound =
the reported snowy owl at the Duluth Int'l airport runway. This owl then =
flew over to us and landed o a building. John was able to take a photo =
of this owl as it flew right over us.

As we left the the old airport terminal buildings off Stebner road we =
drove out to Highway 53 and I found what I thought was the same owl on =
the telephone pole over highway 53.  John took more photos of this owl =
and while John was taking photos birders were telling me this owl is =
different because it looked much whiter vs. the heavy spotted owl of =
what we observed on the runway and over by the prison buildings.

John just sent me the photos and I forwarded them to Peder Svingen as he =
is tabulating all owl sightings during this eruption year.  The photos =
clearly shows that these are two different birds. The airport runway owl =
looks to be a imm female snowy owl and the owl on Stebner and Hwy 53 =
looks like a imm. male snowy owl.

Thanks to John Arthur for the photos and Peder Svingen for observing =
these photos and helping to back up the claims that these are two =
different owls.  So far to the best of my knowledge that the imm male =
owl has not been seen since last Sunday.  There was a report of a snowy =
owl a few weeks ago seen along Piedmont Ave. and this could be the same =
owl.
 =20
Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Minnesota Birding Treks
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4FECE.C08B9DF0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Thanks to John Arthur photos =
of last=20
weekend Snowy Owls it was determined by myself and another birder that =
there are=20
two snowy Owls in the vicinity of the Duluth Int'l Airport and the =
corner of=20
Stebber Rd and Hwy 53 intersection.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>While guiding&nbsp;my =
Minnesota Birding=20
Treks group last Sunday we refound the reported snowy owl at the Duluth =
Int'l=20
airport runway. This owl then flew over to us and landed o a building. =
John=20
was&nbsp;able to take a photo of this owl as it flew right over =
us.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>As we left the&nbsp;the old =
airport=20
terminal&nbsp;buildings off Stebner road we drove out to Highway 53 and =
I=20
found&nbsp;what I thought was the same owl on the telephone pole over =
highway=20
53.&nbsp; John took more photos of this owl and while&nbsp;John was =
taking=20
photos birders were telling me this owl is different because it looked =
much=20
whiter vs. the heavy spotted owl of what we&nbsp;observed&nbsp;on the =
runway and=20
over by&nbsp;the prison buildings.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>John just sent me&nbsp;the =
photos and I=20
forwarded them to&nbsp;Peder Svingen as he is tabulating all owl =
sightings=20
during this eruption year.&nbsp; The&nbsp;photos clearly shows that =
these are=20
two different birds.&nbsp;The airport runway owl looks to be a imm =
female snowy=20
owl and the owl on&nbsp;Stebner and Hwy 53 looks&nbsp;like a imm. male =
snowy=20
owl.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Thanks to John =
Arthur&nbsp;for the photos=20
and Peder Svingen for observing these photos and&nbsp;helping to back up =
the=20
claims that these are two different owls.&nbsp; So far to&nbsp;the best =
of my=20
knowledge that the imm male owl has not been seen since last =
Sunday.&nbsp; There=20
was a&nbsp;report of a snowy owl a&nbsp;few weeks ago&nbsp;seen=20
along&nbsp;Piedmont Ave. and this could be the =
same&nbsp;owl.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS" size=3D2>Michael =
Hendrickson<BR>Duluth,=20
Minnesota<BR>Minnesota Birding Treks<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/">http://webpages.chart=
er.net/mmhendrickson/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C4FECE.C08B9DF0--