[mou] Quick update from Aitkin County

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:08:24 -0600

--=_AD8D1470.D4B5C962

On Sunday I was in Aitkin from 9am to 12:30pm, leaving early because of
the steady wind and also because of the complete lack of Owls I was
seeing.  I figured with the wind it wouldn't get much better and I
suppose I was right.

I travelled the following route:  169 to Cty 18 to Hwy 10 to Hwy 200
back to Hwy 169, down to Cty 18, over the Cty5, down to Palisade, back
over to 169, back up to Cty 18, and up and down Cty 18 a few more times.
 I also travelled on that forest road (whose name I can't recall.
Starts with a P... P<something> Creek Forest Road) that is off of 18
just west of Hwy 10.  Went all the way to the end and back.  Looked like
a pretty nice road to bird, but I didn't see anything.  Could be quite
interesting in the spring for migrants i'd bet.

I found a grand total of 1 Great Grey Owl and 0 Northern Hawk Owls.
Pileated Woodpeckers on the way up in Millacs and Aitkin counties (both
flyovers across 169).  Rough-legged Hawk in Sherburne County just south
of Cty Rd 9 I believe it is (The one that goes west to Sherburne NWR).
A Gray Jay along Hwy 10, and an enormous flock of 150+ Common Redpolls
along Cty 18.

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD
Fridley, MN
(763) 572-5320
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

>>> Warren Nelson <wenelson@mlecmn.net> 01/23/2005 21:46:25 PM >>>
   On Saturday, January 22, I birded around northern Aitkin County.
Timing seems to be really important in locating the northern owls.  At
noon, I went north on C.R.1 to C.R.3, then east on C.R.3 to Highway
169,
then north on 169 to C.R.18 and finally east on C.R. 18 to C.R.5.
During the middle of the day, I found only 2 GREAT GRAY OWLS and 1
NORTHERN HAWK OWL.  However, I headed back to Aitkin following the
same
route in reverse and from about 4:00 P.M. to 5:15 P.M., I found 79
GREAT
GRAY OWLS, 6 NORTHERN HAWK OWLS  and 1 BARRED OWL. They seemed to be
everywhere.
    On Sunday, January 23, I only found 14 GREAT GRAY OWLS, 6 NORTHERN
HAWK OWLS, 1 BARRED OWL, GRAY JAYS, a few SNOW BUNTINGS.  The low
numbers of great grays might be do to a very steady wind.  Steve
Millard
reported finding a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK  about 2 miles west of Aitkin
on
highway 210.  I also got a report of 2 SHORT-EARED OWLS about 1 mile
east of Tamarack along highway 210 ---along with several Graet Gray
Owls.   Warren Nelson

--=_AD8D1470.D4B5C962

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1477" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 8pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>On Sunday I was in Aitkin from 9am to 12:30pm, leaving early because of the
steady wind and also because of the complete lack of Owls I was seeing.&nbsp; I
figured with the wind it wouldn't get much better and I suppose I was
right.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I travelled the following route:&nbsp; 169 to Cty 18 to Hwy 10 to Hwy 200
back to Hwy 169, down to Cty 18, over the Cty5, down to Palisade, back over to
169, back up to Cty 18, and up and down Cty 18 a few more times.&nbsp; I also
travelled on that forest road (whose name I can't recall.&nbsp; Starts with a
P... P&lt;something&gt; Creek Forest Road) that is off of 18 just west of Hwy
10.&nbsp; Went all the way to the end and back.&nbsp; Looked like&nbsp;a pretty
nice road to bird, but I didn't see anything.&nbsp; Could be quite interesting
in the spring for migrants i'd bet.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I found a grand total of 1 Great Grey Owl and 0 Northern Hawk Owls.&nbsp;
Pileated Woodpeckers on the way up in Millacs and Aitkin counties (both flyovers
across 169).&nbsp; Rough-legged Hawk in Sherburne County just south of Cty Rd 9
I believe it is (The one that goes west to Sherburne NWR).&nbsp; A Gray Jay
along Hwy 10, and an enormous flock of 150+ Common Redpolls along Cty 18.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Chris Fagyal<BR>Senior Software Engineer<BR>United Defense, L.P.
ASD<BR>Fridley, MN <BR>(763) 572-5320<BR><A
href="mailto:chris.fagyal@udlp.com">chris.fagyal@udlp.com</A><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt;
Warren Nelson &lt;wenelson@mlecmn.net&gt; 01/23/2005 21:46:25 PM
&gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; On Saturday, January 22, I birded around northern
Aitkin County.<BR>Timing seems to be really important in locating the northern
owls.&nbsp; At<BR>noon, I went north on C.R.1 to C.R.3, then east on C.R.3 to
Highway 169,<BR>then north on 169 to C.R.18 and finally east on C.R. 18 to
C.R.5.<BR>During the middle of the day, I found only 2 GREAT GRAY OWLS and
1<BR>NORTHERN HAWK OWL.&nbsp; However, I headed back to Aitkin following the
same<BR>route in reverse and from about 4:00 P.M. to 5:15 P.M., I found 79
GREAT<BR>GRAY OWLS, 6 NORTHERN HAWK OWLS&nbsp; and 1 BARRED OWL. They seemed to
be<BR>everywhere.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; On Sunday, January 23, I only found 14
GREAT GRAY OWLS, 6 NORTHERN<BR>HAWK OWLS, 1 BARRED OWL, GRAY JAYS, a few SNOW
BUNTINGS.&nbsp; The low<BR>numbers of great grays might be do to a very steady
wind.&nbsp; Steve Millard<BR>reported finding a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK&nbsp; about
2 miles west of Aitkin on<BR>highway 210.&nbsp; I also got a report of 2
SHORT-EARED OWLS about 1 mile<BR>east of Tamarack along highway 210 ---along
with several Graet Gray<BR>Owls.&nbsp;&nbsp; Warren
list<BR>mou-net@cbs.umn.edu<BR><A