[mou] Aitkin Co. Owls

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan@digitaljam.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:41:15 -0600

We spent three hours -- between noon and 3:00 pm (probably not the optimal
time for owl viewing) -- looking for owls in northern Aitkin County on
Tuesday (1/25).

We saw a total of 12 Great Gray Owls and 4 Northern Hawk Owls, most of whom
were seen from noon to 1:00pm right along Hwy 169 between the town of Aitkin
and the junction of CR 18.   CR 18 between Hwy 169 and CR 5 was very quiet.

We enjoyed frolicking Ravens, but struck out on Boreal Chickadee (at Rabey's
Tree Farm) and Sharp-tailed Grouse, but the unusually warm day allowed us to
bird the entire time without coats (in January!).

Dan & Sandy Thimgan
Battle Lake, MN