[mou] Mahnomen Great Grays

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21@hotmail.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:33:45 -0600

Calculus 2, long and boring, but when my professor let us out early this
afternoon, there was only one thing on my mind, so I sped up to Mahnomen
County to look for a Great Gray. I got there just around 4:30, the beginning
of the "magical hour."
I arrived at MN 200 where the Great Gray Owl was found 3.7 miles west of CR
4. There was no Great Gray around, so I drove another mile where I finally
found the owl. At least I thought it was the owl, but the next few minutes
led to several Great Grays in the surrounding area. It was magical, I only
expected to see one, but the next 11 miles led to 9 Great Gray Owls, the
last three being just inside Clearwater County. I also ran into a Great
Horned Owl perched near the road.
I know adults always describe Great Gray Owls as enchanting, graceful, and
beautiful, and yes they are, but as a kid, I can say what no adult dared,
and I know it's what everyone is thinking........Great Grays are cool.......

Hope your January is as cool as mine,
Ben Fritchman
NDSU, Fargo ND