[mou] No potholes, no ducks

MARTELL, Mark MMARTELL@audubon.org
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:25:59 -0400

One should hardly take a mis-statement in the Argos Leader and apply it =
to everyone who believes that global warming is real.

The loss of wetlands is real and continuing and affects not just ducks =
but a lot of other birds that we enjoy.  Whatever the cause (and there =
are many) birders, ornithologists, hunters, and anyone with an interest =
the natural world need to get together and start pushing back.

Mark Martell
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Minnesota
2357 Ventura Drive #106
St. Paul, MN 55125
651-739-9332
651-731-1330 (FAX)

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu]On
Behalf Of Steve Foss
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 1:10 AM
To: Jim Williams; MOU-net; Grant Peterson
Cc: sd-birds
Subject: Re: [mou] No potholes, no ducks

"That would force ducks eastward and out of the=20
state's crucial pothole wetlands, which produce 95 percent
of the ducks  in the continental=20
United States."

Since when do South Dakota potholes produce 95 percent of
the ducks in the continental U.S.?

Sorry, folks, but when I see a statistic like that, it
casts doubt on the whole story, and does no good for the
credibility of those who believe human-caused global
warming threatens life on the planet.

Steve