[mou] hooded warbler & deer flies

Milton Blomberg MJBFLWRMT@MSN.COM
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:12:33 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C5877A.3D5C5BB0

Birded the Blue Hill Trail of Sherburne yesterday. An Ovenbird and =
Redstart came into fleeting views.  Chestnut-sided also singing.  But I =
was after the sighting of the Hooded Warbler, which was singing mostly =
along the northern base of BlueHill and in the hollow up toward a meadow =
opening N-NE of the hill.  But, it dropped down in the ferns on the =
north slope it and barely showed itself at the base of a tree, enough =
for an ID of the male bird as fleeting as it was, plus it sang out as it =
worked up the slope through the ferns.  Deer flies are 3X worse than a =
few days ago.  But, if I posted up in a spot, after a few minutes the =
swarm was mellowed to only a couple of buzzers.  It was when I moved =
that the en masse came again. Here I thought they sight on one by the IR =
light spectrum, but I believe movement has much more to do with it.  It =
was suggested that deer flies are territorial as one moves through =
"their" foliage.  I can't really suppose this.  They were nasty, yet I =
was successful on this lifer. (35 other species noted in this hour =
including road travel) mjb
------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C5877A.3D5C5BB0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2668" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><!--[gte IE 5]><?xml:namespace =
prefix=3D"v" /><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" /><![endif]-->
<DIV>Birded the Blue Hill Trail of Sherburne yesterday.&nbsp;An Ovenbird =
and=20
Redstart came into fleeting views.&nbsp; Chestnut-sided also =
singing.&nbsp; But=20
I was after the sighting of the Hooded Warbler, which was singing mostly =
along=20
the northern base of BlueHill and in the hollow up toward a meadow =
opening N-NE=20
of the hill.&nbsp; But, it dropped down in the ferns on the north slope =
it and=20
barely showed itself at the base of a tree, enough for an ID of the male =
bird as=20
fleeting as it was, plus it sang out as it worked up the slope through =
the=20
ferns.&nbsp; Deer flies are 3X worse than a few days ago.&nbsp; But, if =
I posted=20
up in a spot, after a few minutes the swarm was mellowed to only a =
couple of=20
buzzers.&nbsp; It was when I moved that the en masse came again. Here I =
thought=20
they sight on&nbsp;one by the&nbsp;IR light spectrum, but I believe =
movement has=20
much more to do with it.&nbsp; It was suggested that deer flies are =
territorial=20
as one moves through "their" foliage.&nbsp; I can't really suppose =
this.&nbsp;=20
They were nasty, yet I was successful on this lifer. (35 other species =
noted in=20
this hour including road travel) mjb</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C5877A.3D5C5BB0--