[mou] Duluth Great-tailed Grackle Directions

Laura Erickson bluejay@lauraerickson.com
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 20:32:23 -0500

Please remember that the train tracks here ARE used.  Not often, but do be=
=20
prepared.

Laura Erickson

At 08:24 PM 7/16/2005, Dan Amerman wrote:
>Apparently my directions for the Great-tailed Grackle
>in West Duluth needed to be more precise.  Go down
>Grand Avenue all the way to Gary =AD New Duluth.  Just
>before Boy Scout Landing take a left on Highway 39, as
>if you were following the signs to cross the bridge to
>Wisconsin.  The road will go downhill, cross a
>railroad tracks, then climb to the bridge =AD but
>instead, at the bottom of the hill take a left into
>the small dirt parking area, just past the tracks,
>that is beneath a train trestle.  Go to the railroad
>tracks and walk north (to the right).  Mud Lake is
>ahead of you, and the railroad crosses it on a
>causeway, but you don=92t need to go that far.
>
>On the tracks, about 30-50 yards before the lake, look
>to your right (east, towards Wisconsin), and there is
>a medium height dead tree something like 30-50 yards
>away from the railroad tracks.   The Great-tailed
>Grackle was perched high there this morning, and there
>were a bunch of Mourning Doves hanging around in the
>vicinity as well.  For comparison, on the west side of
>the tracks along the near edge of Mud Lake there were
>ten or so Common Grackles (also a family of six River
>Otters at about 5:30 this morning!).  Hopefully the
>bird will hang around in the vicinity for a while.
>
>Dan Amerman
>Duluth, MN

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

www.birderblog.com

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of=20
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of=20
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the=
 winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson