[mou] Viewing Brown Pelican

James Mattsson mattjim@earthlink.net
Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:29:06 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

The first state record Brown Pelican (immature) at Little Spirit Lake in Jackson County may be viewed at relatively close range (200m) from the residence of Linda Fries (assuming it continues to roost near her dock). She lives on the east shore of the lake at Fire # 70423.  Note: the bird has been viewed by most people from the boat ramp at the far north end of the lake, a distance of 0.5-0.75 miles from the bird.

Directions:

>From the point where CR 2 goes north from the Iowa border, go straight west  (Caution: do NOT follow CR 2 to the SW at this point.) on a secondary blacktop road (MN-Iowa border) a short distance to the first road that heads to the right (north).  Look for fire numbers in the 70000 series. Go north about 1/2 mile and look for Fire # 70423 on your left. Park in the drive but stay off to side. Walk around the house to the right (north) and walk out on the dock.  The bird was roosting on the rocks about 200 m due west and directly in line with a tiny wooded island.

The homeowner, Linda Fries, was most gracious in stating that birders are very welcome to come and view the bird.

Drew Smith and I observed and digiscoped the bird at this location from 9:45 - 10:30 am today (7/17). A few White Pelicans, Ring-billed and Franklin's Gulls were nearby as well.

Good luck and Good birding,
Jim
------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8

<HTML style="FONT-SIZE: x-small; FONT-FAMILY: MS Sans Serif"><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1251">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2668" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<DIV>The first state record Brown Pelican (immature) at Little Spirit Lake in Jackson County may be viewed at&nbsp;relatively close range (200m) from the residence of Linda Fries (assuming it continues to roost near her dock). She lives on the east shore of the lake at Fire # 70423.&nbsp; Note: the bird has been viewed by most people from the boat ramp at the far north end of the lake, a distance of 0.5-0.75 miles from the bird.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Directions:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>From the point where CR 2 goes north from the Iowa border, go <STRONG>straight west</STRONG>&nbsp; <STRONG>(Caution: do NOT follow CR 2 to the SW at this point.)</STRONG> on a secondary blacktop road (MN-Iowa border) a short distance to the first road that heads to the right (north).&nbsp; Look for fire numbers in the 70000 series. Go north about 1/2 mile and look for Fire # 70423 on your left. Park in the drive but stay off to side. Walk around the house to the right (north) and walk out on the dock.&nbsp; The bird was roosting on the rocks about 200 m due west and directly in line with a tiny wooded island. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The homeowner, Linda Fries, was most gracious in stating that birders are very welcome to come and view the bird. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Drew Smith and I observed and digiscoped the bird at this location from 9:45 - 10:30 am today (7/17). A few White Pelicans, Ring-billed and Franklin's Gulls were nearby as well. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Good luck and Good birding,</DIV>
<DIV>Jim</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>