[mou] Shorebirs in Traverse County

Beau Shroyer beaunshroyerduckbuster@hotmail.com
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:42:10 -0500

<P>Yesterday afternoon I happened upon a flooded agricultural field near Mud Lake on the SD border that was full of shorebirds.&nbsp; I identified 12 species and approximately 450 individuals.&nbsp; Species spotted were; Greater and lesser yellowlegs, killdeer, Least sandpiper, baird's sandpiper, stilt sandpiper, semi-palmated sandpiper, white rumped sandpiper, short-billed and long-billed dowitcher, hudsonian godwit (1), and redknot (1).&nbsp; Directions to the field from MN State Hwy 117.&nbsp; Go Northeast on the gravel road that leads to the boat access on the Mustinka River (Mustinka County Park).&nbsp; It looks like this might be considered CR 76 on my Gazetteer.&nbsp; after a half mile the road will curve to the North.&nbsp; The field will be directly on the West side of the road.&nbsp; Many species were observed from the vehicle.&nbsp; I did not go any further on this road, but
would assume that other similar habitat will be present.&nbsp; I also spotted a Swainson's hawk two miles west of the SD state line on Roberts County Road 29.&nbsp; If anybody is out in that area I would like to hear if any other interesting species show up.<BR></P></DIV></div></html>