[mou] Western Kingbirds, Anoka County

Erika Sitz esitz@goldengate.net
Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:18:18 -0500

We saw Western Kingbirds in two Anoka County locations this afternoon.  At
about 5:15pm, exiting Hwy 10 eastbound to CR9/Round Lake Blvd, one flew
across in front of the car.  We turned right and then right again at the
first light into a road marked "Private road, no through traffic", followed
that around and spotted 3 Western Kingbirds and 4 Eastern Kingbirds going
back and forth from some pines and a fence by them to the utility wires.
There were a gazillion starlings, so if you don't see the Kingbirds first,
you'll have to sort through them.  Also saw a Vesper Sparrow.
After running our errands, decided to go check further out Hwy 10 where had
seen them previously.  Turned left at CR56/Ramsey Blvd (I reported one here
June 8) at 6:20pm and saw one on the fence at the first curve, about 100'
in, great looks at it since we weren't looking against a bright sky.  About
5 min later, saw two on the utility wire along Hwy 10 just west of the
intersection, though one could have been a duplicate.
Skunked at Jarvis St on the Elk River border and along the Cargill Farm on
165th Ave.

Erika Sitz
Ramsey, north Anoka County