[mou] Sax-Zim Bog Land Lease

Fran Howard fjhoward@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:47:36 -0500

--B_3200554057_9267346

I just read Manley Olson=B9s post regarding MOU=B9s recent land lease in Sax-Zi=
bog and I commend him on his concern for the environment.

It is my understanding that bog habitat is quite fragile and that even
walking through a bog can leave irreversible changes for years to come.
While I can understand the importance of using the land, overuse or careles=
use long term could harm the species we all want to see.

The new bog walk in Waskish was built with extreme care so as to not degrad=
the flora and fauna of the bog. I think it would be wise for the MOU board
to consider the impact on the habitat before opening the land to all
birders. At least a set of guidelines for use might be warranted.

That said, bravo to the board for purchasing the lease=8Ba giant step in the
right direction.

Fran Howard

--B_3200554057_9267346

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Sax-Zim Bog Land Lease</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12.0px'>I just read Manley Olson&=
#8217;s post regarding MOU&#8217;s recent land lease in Sax-Zim bog and I co=
mmend him on his concern for the environment.<BR>
<BR>
It is my understanding that bog habitat is quite fragile and that even walk=
ing through a bog can leave irreversible changes for years to come. While I =
can understand the importance of using the land, overuse or careless use lon=
g term could harm the species we all want to see. <BR>
<BR>
The new bog walk in Waskish was built with extreme care so as to not degrad=
e the flora and fauna of the bog. I think it would be wise for the MOU board=
 to consider the impact on the habitat before opening the land to all birder=
s. At least a set of guidelines for use might be warranted.<BR>
<BR>
That said, bravo to the board for purchasing the lease&#8212;a giant step i=
n the right direction.<BR>
<BR>
Fran Howard</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>