[mou] Birds on Ely's Softball Fields

Bill Tefft b.tefft@vcc.edu
Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:22:04 -0500

I am glad that either Richard Gibson or I usually check the softball
complex on the edge of Ely each day.  Today he discoved a Franklin's
Gull among all the Herring and Ring-billed Gulls feeding there and a
lone white-rumped sandpiper.   I see from other postings that there have
been some shorebirds showing up across the state.

It is also a tough time of year for nesting goldeneyes.  Some have
already hatched their young and it is fortunate for them.  I heard two
reports today of pine martens raiding nests - one was a cavity in an
aspen and another was a duck box that has been raided the past two
years.

After all pine martens have to eat also and I haven't seen any "Pine
Marten Guards" for aspen trees at bird stores.

Bill Tefft
Parks and Recreation Instructor
Vermilion Community College
1900 E. Camp Street